5-Free Steps to the Best and Safest Manicure
It’s summer and it almost goes without saying that many more of us are getting pedicures in addition to our regular manicures. We all want to look good, but how can we look good on the outside without harming ourselves on the inside?
Cosmetics have come a long way and it is even more possible to look good and be well at the same time. For us, there are 5 steps to the best and safest manicure of your life.
Know your enemy. Avoid all polishes that contain these 5 ingredients.
DIY - try polishing your nails yourself! If you are completely hopeless, look for salons that carry clean polishes and are well ventilated.
Try alternatives to nail polish like buffing nails for a natural shine or minimizing the frequency of usage
Choose polishes that are 5-free or better. Some of our favorites are:
Dispose properly - clean out your existing collection by properly disposing of old polish.
- Find a local facility that processes hazardous household waste. Earth 911 allows you to easily search for locations in your area.
- If the nail polish is almost done, open it and let the polish completely dry out before disposing in the trash
- Alternatively, use old polish to create DIY home decor and artwork. It is perfect for craft projects for adults and children as long as it is done in a well-ventilated area. We recommend outdoors.
- NEVER pour polish down the drain or toilet
- NEVER put polish directly in the trash